Driver: Felipe Massa
Chassis / Engine: FW38-02 / PU106C Hybrid
Location: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, 4.655km
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 19ºC / 25ºC
Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer:
It has been another productive day. It was good to have Felipe in the car. We are all still learning, as is he. Valtteri has been at track to give us a hand and the drivers have been chatting about their feelings and it has been pretty positive. We have essentially been doing a lot of reliability work today. We did a race simulation with Felipe which we are quite pleased with and now we are pushing on with more performance work to end a fairly solid day. We had to finish slightly early due to an inlet system issue which we are investigating to make sure we are ready to continue our programme on the final day of the test tomorrow.
Today was a good day doing 109 laps, and spending time trying to understand the FW38 for the first time. It is always nice to drive the car and understand areas that are better than the old one, but also keep working on understanding what there is to improve in terms of set-up. There is definitely a lot to do to get the car where we want it but I had a good feeling, and I am sure we are just at the beginning of many improvements. At the very end of the day, unfortunately I had to stop due to an issue in the power unit. We couldn’t finish the programme but we were very close, missing only the final few laps.
Position Driver Team Best Time Best / Total Laps
1. N. Hulkenberg Force India F1 Team 1:23.110 53 / 99
2. R. Grosjean Haas F1 Team 1:25.874 71 / 82
3. K. Raikkonen Ferrari 1:25.997 16 / 78
4. K. Magnussen Renault Sport F1 Team 1:26.014 42 / 111
5. N. Rosberg Mercedes AMG F1 Team 1:26.084 27 / 74
6. C. Sainz Toro Rosso 1:26.239 39 / 161
7. F. Nasr Sauber F1 Team 1:26.392 73 / 115
8. L. Hamilton Mercedes AMG F1 Team 1:26.421 66 / 88
9. D. Kvyat Red Bull Racing 1:26.497 26 / 74
10. F. Massa WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING 1:26.712 31 / 109
11. J. Button McLaren 1:26.919 26 / 51
12. R. Haryanto Manor F1 Team 1:28.249 76 / 78
Williams Martini Racing will be back on track tomorrow with Felipe Massa returning to the wheel of the Williams Mercedes FW38 for the fourth, and final, day of the first test.