Driver: Alex Lynn
Chassis / Engine: FW38-01 / PU106C Hybrid
Location: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, 4.655km
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 23ºC / 39ºC
Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: It was a very successful day. We’ve been doing a lot of aero testing today on development items. We also went through a programme looking at some Monaco set-up alternatives. It was a very interesting day for us with plenty of data to look through, and we got through our entire planned programme. It was good to have Alex back in the car today. He drove the FW37 last year, so it is quite interesting to hear his view of where we’re going with the FW38. It is quite a different beast, and race drivers don’t always notice the difference because they drive it every week and changes tend to be fairly marginal. For him, he is looking back several months. It is interesting to talk to him about it and get a different point of view. He did a great job for us, it was a very clean day to complete our programme. Overall, I’m feeling very positive, and now we’re looking forward to getting Felipe in the car tomorrow to carry on with the work that Alex started today.
Alex Lynn: I think we had a really positive day. We’ve run through everything, and probably more than we ever anticipated on the programme. We’ve had a lot of good running for the team in terms of the next few races, and got some good information. We did some good work on the medium tyre, and in the afternoon it was more Monaco based performance work.
Position Driver Team Best Time Best / Total Laps
1. S. Vettel Ferrari 1:23.220 62 / 103
2. N. Rosberg Mercedes AMG F1 Team 1:23.337 71 / 119
3. J. Button McLaren 1:23.753 23 / 86
4. R. Grosjean Haas F1 Team 1:23.882 82 / 96
5. P. Wehrlein Manor F1 Team 1:24.297 76 / 86
6. D. Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:24.307 56 / 89
7. P. Gasly Toro Rosso 1:24.821 75 / 78
8. A. Celis Force India 1:25.467 96 / 99
9. A. Lynn WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING 1:26.071 28 / 86
10. E. Ocon Renault Sport F1 Team 1:26.530 27 / 105
The Williams Mercedes FW38 will be back on track tomorrow for day two of the test with Felipe Massa at the wheel.