Driver: Felipe Massa / Lance Stroll
Chassis / Engine: FW40-02 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Location: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, 4.655km
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 27ºC / 22ºC
Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer:
Today was a pretty busy day again, and also included a driver change at lunchtime. Felipe was driving this morning and we tried the ultrasoft tyres for the first time, so we’ve got some good data to look at. Lance was back in the car in the afternoon and he did a good job. He’s never tried the supersoft tyres before but he acquitted himself really well considering the circuit conditions he had at the time. Overall we had a good clean day and completed 122 laps in total, which means we have a lot of useful data to look through tonight.
It was a good morning. We completed all of our programmes and, like yesterday, I had a good feeling in the car. We’re happy with everything we tried in terms of set-up and trying different tyres. I’ve had a very good day and a half, but hopefully this is just the beginning and we can finish testing well. I’m very happy with what I’ve seen and what I feel in the car. It’s still difficult to know where we are compared to the others, but the car is definitely looking positive.
I am quite happy with the afternoon and pleased with the morning watching Felipe do some solid running. I think it was a good day. As a team we got a lot of laps in, so we have a lot of positives to take out of today. I am not really focussed on laptimes, as it is testing and we are exploring a lot of different things on the car and trying to move forward. I am just happy with getting some good running in, trying some stuff on the car and moving in the right direction. That is what we are focusing on over these few days, and so far so good. We did some short runs, and tried some different compounds. I went to the softer compounds today. I tried the supersofts but still have the ultrasoft remaining that I haven’t tried. It was good to get a feel for them for the first time.
Position Driver Team Best Time Best / Total Laps
1. V. Bottas Mercedes AMG Motorsport 1:19.310 43 / 70
2. F. Massa WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING 1:19.420 58 / 63
3. K. Raikkonen Scuderia Ferrari 1:20.406 28 / 53
4. M. Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:20.432 31 / 102
5. L. Stroll WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING 1:20.579 51 / 59
6. L. Hamilton Mercedes AMG Motorsport 1:20.702 9 / 79
7. N. Hulkenberg Renault Sport F1 Team 1:21.213 25 / 61
8. S. Perez Force India 1:21.297 48 / 100
9. C. Sainz Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:21.872 38 / 92
10. R. Grosjean Haas F1 Team 1:21.887 66 / 96
11. P. Wehrlein Sauber F1 Team 1:23.000 38 / 59
12. F. Alonso McLaren 1:23.041 22 / 46
13. M. Ericsson Sauber F1 Team 1:23.384 22 / 47
14. J. Palmer Renault Sport F1 Team 1:24.774 22 / 29
Williams Martini Racing returns to track tomorrow with Lance Stroll in the morning session and Felipe Massa in the afternoon session.