Driver: Lance Stroll / Felipe Massa
Chassis / Engine: FW40-02 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Location: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, 4.655km
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 21ºC / 27ºC
Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer:
It was a pretty solid day concentrating on race distances. We achieved this with Lance in good style this morning and despite a couple of red flags this afternoon, we still completed a good distance with Felipe too. We also looked at tyre degradation and stability through a race run. We’re looking forward to tomorrow with Lance back in the car, where we’ll be aiming to do some qualifying simulation work and some more race work in the afternoon. The team is now getting back on target and we are looking forward to the final day tomorrow.
It was a good morning. I was doing long runs on medium tyres and getting used to the car on them, which is good. We did a lot of laps. I am still getting to know the car a bit better, so it was a positive morning. I will be in the car all day tomorrow. I still have the ultrasoft to try, but I am getting to grips with things so I am happy with that.
The car did 165 laps in total today. Because of the red flags we couldn’t do the full race simulation, with pitstops but we more than managed to cover the distance we were targeting without issue. With the car doing two full race distances today it shows the FW40 is reliable, and that’s positive. Now I’m just ready to start the season! I’m not driving tomorrow but I hope the team has another great day with Lance. I just hope that we can start the season well in Australia and we can use everything we’ve learned here in the test to prepare the car for the first race.
Position Driver Team Best Time Best / Total Laps
1. S. Vettel Scuderia Ferrari 1:19.024 58 / 156
2. L. Hamilton Mercedes AMG Motorsport 1:19.352 51 / 52
3. E. Ocon Force India 1:20.161 43 / 137
4. D. Kvyat Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:20.416 32 / 94
5. K. Magnussen Haas F1 Team 1:20.504 62 / 119
6. D. Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:20.824 12 / 128
7. S. Vandoorne McLaren 1:21.348 29 / 48
8. V. Bottas Mercedes AMG Motorsport 1:21.819 34 / 95
9. P. Wehrlein Sauber F1 Team 1:22.347 30 / 44
10. J. Palmer Renault Sport F1 Team 1:22.418 27 / 53
11. M. Ericsson Sauber F1 Team 1:23.330 67 / 88
12. F. Massa WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING 1:24.443 56 / 80
13. L. Stroll WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING 1:24.863 52 / 85
Williams Martini Racing returns to track tomorrow with Lance Stroll at the wheel of the FW40.