Date Thursday 10 February 2011
Track Circuito de Jerez
Driver Nico Rosberg
No of Laps 67 laps
Best Lap Time 1:23.963
Kms Covered 297 kms
Track Length 4.428 kms
Weather Sunny and warm
Formula One's second winter test got underway this morning at the Circuito de Jerez in southern Spain as preparations continue for the start of the new season. Nico Rosberg was at the wheel of the MGP W02, with Michael Schumacher due to take over for Friday and Saturday, before Nico rounds off the programme on Sunday.
The team's work focused on continuing the set-up programme from the first test in Valencia last week, along with further acclimatisation to the Mercedes KERS as Nico had his second test day with the system. Nico completed longer runs in the afternoon to conduct set-up comparisons and continue to develop the team's understanding of the new Pirelli tyres.
Nico completed 67 laps with the programme slightly shortened due to a repeat of the hydraulic issue experienced in Valencia which has enabled the team to confirm the source of the problem.
Nico Rosberg: "We had a reasonable day and I was able to complete quite a few laps, which is positive. It's important for both me and the team to get good mileage and we're really learning about the car all the time. We had a few little issues, which you always expect from a new car, so we just have to keep putting the miles on it. The KERS was working well and having more time to get used to the system is a real help; it's not just a question of using the buttons but also understanding the effect of the KERS under braking. We are starting to understand the tyres better and that will be one of the key factors to success over the race weekends."
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:20.709 101
2. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:21.483 94
3. Mark Webber Red Bull 1:21.522 94
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1:21.755 36
5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren 1:21.914 58
6. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1:22.689 42
7. Adrian Sutil Force India 1:23.472 28
8. Vitaly Petrov Lotus Renault 1:23.504 57
9. Nico Rosberg MERCEDES GP PETRONAS 1:23.963 67
10. Jarno Trulli Team Lotus 1:24.458 54
11. Timo Glock Marussia Virgin 1:25.086 42
12. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:34.968 12
(Please note all timings are unofficial and correct as of 17:00hrs CET)