7 November 2014
First Practice Session: Position: 10, Best Time: 1:14.197, Laps: 27
Second Practice Session: Position: 4, Best Time: 1:12.956, Laps: 24
“It was a really good Friday for us and I think we learnt a lot, so a positive day. It’s a lot smoother on the track now, it was slippery this morning, but once it cleaned up the grip is really good and it’s a good surface. In dry conditions, I think we’re good enough for the second row and if it rains, then who knows – maybe the front row can be possible.”
First Practice Session: Position: 14, Best Time: 1:14.902, Laps: 24
Second Practice Session: Position: 9, Best Time: 1:13.333, Laps: 28
“The day overall was okay, I had some issues and we didn’t get that much running today, but that was mostly due to the red flags which was the same for everyone. The grip seems fairly high on the new asphalt and they made the track smoother apart from the main straight. If it’s wet then I think it brings things closer to us, but even in the dry if we get everything right we should be in a reasonable place, it’s a short lap so it will be quite tight.”
Daniel Ricciardo: Ten Key Races That Got Me Here
They’re the landmark performances that get a young driver noticed, the milestone races that turn a junior series battler to a grand prix race winner. In our latest look at the 10s that make up our decade of F1 action, Daniel nominates the 10 key races he believes made him the racing driver he is today.
1. 2006 Formula BMW Asia: This would be at the Bira Circuit in Thailand. It was Round 12 of the series, the first race of that weekend and it was my first international victory.
2. 2006: Formula BMW World Finals: This was in Valencia and I finished fifth. It was my first big race on the European or world stage, so pretty important at the time.
3. 2008: Formula Renault 2.0 WEC: I’ll choose two from this year, the wins in Nogaro and at Spa. Nogaro was my first victory on European soil and Spa is, well, it’s Spa.
4. 2008: Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup: I won Round 2 at Silverstone after a great final-lap battle with a guy called Valtteri Bottas!
5. 2009: British Formula 3: The opening round was at Oulton Park and I won both races that weekend. A good way to start the season.
6. 2010: Formula Renault 3.5: I got pole position and won the race in Monaco. Another really important win. It was good to go back the following year and win there again too.
7. 2011: Formula One: I made my F1 race debut at the British Grand Prix. It was a pretty poor race, but I learned so much from it.
8. 2012: Formula One: The Australian Grand Prix, my home race, my first race for Toro Rosso, and I scored points with ninth place.
9. 2014: Formula One: The Australian Grand Prix again and my Red Bull Racing debut. Not the eventual result I wanted but it was great to stand on the podium.
10. 2014: Formula One – The Canadian Grand Prix. My first grand prix victory. Simply an incredible moment!